A Client Engagement Account Director position is a strategic, expert-level role with responsibility for leading a portfolio of accounts. The Account Director applies expert knowledge of the market and technology products relevant to the assigned business, clients’ strategic objectives, and expertise in medical affairs for successful service delivery and business growth.
Building and maintaining healthy business relationships with clients by providing them with high-quality deliverables according to their specifications and standard requirements
This role oversees all aspects of client service on their assigned account(s). The Account Director resolves account-related issues and manages the deployment of available resources for successful delivery. The Account Director may also be involved in wider divisional new business development activities. This role will line manage a small number of Client Engagement team members (typically three to five).
• Be the “voice of the client”, effectively translating their business needs to the internal development team ensuring adherence to client process and industry requirements.
• Continuously pursue growth opportunities with each client
• As necessary, assist in writing technical and functional requirements, during implementation
• Have the ability to work autonomously while being able to contribute successfully to cross functional teams
• Serve as the client relationship owner on assigned accounts ensuring client expectations are met for technology-related support and deliverables.
• Collaborate with Delivery Excellence on client implementation(s)
• Maintain optimum service levels for clients throughout the product lifecycle, including training, configuration cycles, overseeing production support, communication, and owning adoption process.
• Monitor client satisfaction with ETS services and delivery be the primary escalation point for the internal team and address any issues raised by the client. Be the conduit for escalations to Portfolio Director/Key Account Lead as appropriate.
• Apply expert understanding of:
o Client(s) strategic business needs within assigned accounts.
o Market and technology competitors, including compliance/regulatory environment and international standards across medical affairs.
o EPG/client standard operating procedures (SOPs), and policies, compliance and Service Level Agreements and Rules of Engagement applicable to assigned account(s), directing account team members as necessary to ensure adherence to these and identifying any training needs.
• Lead best practice implementation across the assigned account(s), proactively seeking insights from the wider business.
• Be the technical expert for user experience across Classic/iEnvision solutions and provide guidance to assist clients and other stakeholders in optimizing their use of the technology.
• Advise and challenge customers on configuration and operation of their iEnvision solutions
• Troubleshoot project delivery challenges and lead resolution of these, directing the account team and supporting internal stakeholders.
• Be able to relate and apply business processes to relevant ETS software solutions.
• Work independently and deliver onsite and remote walkthroughs of system iterations and solution training sessions to clients.
• Be able to critically input into business requirement documentation, training materials, and client ready software release notes.
• Track the ongoing financial management of the assigned account(s), according to EPG and client SOPs to meet financial goals (includes preparation of scopes of work, collaboration with Commercial, out-of-scope tracking, reconciliation, and invoicing [in partnership with ETS Finance]).
• Manage day-to-day activities and staff, including assessment of performance to ensure work output is of high quality, handling employee relations issues, and identifying training needs.
• Understand and adhere to both ETS and client requirements/standard operating procedures (SOPs) and policies.
• Prioritize workload to agreed timelines and budget to meet client/business needs.
• Take project briefs from the client or internal colleagues, questioning for clarification as necessary, and communicate requirements effectively to others internally.
• Gain familiarity with internal tracking tools (e.g., Jira, FocalPoint, Salesforce, SharePoint, etc.).
• Develop project-tracking expertise and the management of out-of-scope activities.
• Liaise internally within the core account team to monitor adherence to project development and identify project delivery issues, escalating these as appropriate.
• Act as the point person on assigned areas of responsibility for internal team members, client, and other external stakeholders, responding proactively to queries and requests as appropriate.
• Proactively identify challenges, risks, and recommend solutions.
• Oversee and understand the overall migration process until the completion of the migration phase. This includes reviewing and analysing the data, testing functionality that will prepare data for migration.
• Actively build strong relationships with the client and other external project stakeholders.
• Understand new system features and be able to provide highlights to clients to help optimize their usage of the system and enhance business value.
• Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the range of ETS technology solutions and wider service offerings (including Operational Excellence, ESS, LINKS, etc.).
• Lead quarterly/regular technical business reviews with key client stakeholders
• Shape the quarterly agenda based on in-depth knowledge of the client, highlighting impact for their business
o Analyse client data and usage metrics to provide insight against clients’ KPIs, highlighting value created by iEnvision products and against industry benchmarks, identify process improvements and drive change
• Lead annual adoption planning workshops for key accounts – shaping agenda, collaborating with internal stakeholders, and aligning with clients KPIs
• Support organic growth of assigned accounts: identify growth opportunities and liaise with Commercial to further extend ETS business within these client(s).
• Ensure the well-being of line reports, providing support and guidance as required (as well as approving timesheets and vacations).
• Undertake Envision Contribution Planning (ECP) and develop/implement training and development plans for direct line reports, in line with EPG policy.
• Identify appropriate opportunities and challenges for team members, ensuring optimal team development and retention.
• Manage, with input from HR/senior managers, both high-performing (progression planning, etc.) and low-performing (PIPs, etc.) team members.
• Participate in the recruitment of Client Engagement candidates, develop, and implement onboarding plans, and monitor the progress of new team members.
• Serve as escalation point for direct reports
• Participate in or lead functional or operational working groups/initiatives, as required.
Qualifications, experience, and technical expertise required to complete role:
• Extensive experience working with Envision technology products.
• Typically, +5 years’ experience in a technical consulting or client engagement role in Medical Affairs software at a pharmaceutical or medical device company, medical communications agency, or equivalent interpreting client requirements and challenges in developing application solutions.
• Experience mentoring junior team members including training on technology solutions and building their awareness of the industry.
• Experience project managing complex multi-solution programs.
• Sound financial acumen.
• Experience leading large technology programs, preferably in a global environment
• Preferably experience mentoring and/or line managing others.
• Confident using internal tracking tools including Jira, FocalPoint, Salesforce, SharePoint, etc.
• Advanced working knowledge of MS Office suite (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
• This position requires a flexible schedule to accommodate clients (depending on time zone/locale) – calls, trainings, etc. may sometimes be held early AM or late in the PM.
Abilities and behaviours required for success in the role:
• Able to manage complex technology delivery programs effectively
• Able to lead and motivate teams to deliver projects effectively
• Highly organized and ability to multitask
• Strong decision-making and critical thinking ability
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Able to think creatively and innovate
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact confidently and appropriately with colleagues across the business, and to work effectively as part of a global, multidisciplinary team
• Ability and confidence to discuss strategy with client and provide counsel, as relevant to ETS services
• Excellent meeting facilitation and presentation skills
• Customer-focused approach to delivering, complex, multifaceted projects
• Positive and constructive approach when working under pressure
• Ability to travel for national & international meetings
• Ability to understand client needs while diffusing issues and offering solutions for challenging situations