The Account Director will lead the day-to-day strategy of accounts, ensuring each programme is implemented effectively, professionally and in-line with the agreed project specification, and on budget. The Account Director will develop relationships with clients in a leadership capacity and demonstrate strong competencies in strategic counsel.
The Account Director will drive the running of each programme, ensuring allocation of tasks between team members is sufficient, and is responsible for providing updates to the Associate Director/Director on all aspects of programme strategy and resourcing as required. Together with the Associate Director or Director, the Account Director should also be competent in developing the organic growth of existing accounts.
The Account Director should help drive the direction and development of 90TEN and may occasionally attend meetings of the Management Team as a contributor on specific matters.
PR and MedEd skills
• Lead day-to-day client counsel, taking responsibility for communicating key programme aims and adaptations to clients
• Hone competency in issues management, including the information cascade and strategic materials such as reactive statements, Q&As and key messages.
• Oversee client teams and help lead the development of plans for client work with Associate Director/Director.
• Support the Account Manager in delivering to the team any priorities, deadlines, developments and decisions made.
• Take responsibility for quality control of team’s work and provide constructive feedback on the tone and creative direction of the work. Where required, provide support to Account Manager in effectively briefing team members on revising materials appropriately.
• Hone coaching skills and take every opportunity to provide guidance and support to all members of the team.
• Maintain and share key contacts with team. Develop excellent relationships with influencers, third parties, key senior client contacts, key media.
• Continuously update and maintain understanding and knowledge of the market in which clients operate.
• Keep up to date with industry innovations e.g. ePlatforms and demonstrate forward thinking to clients
• Take every opportunity to make recommendations and suggestions to the Associate Director/Director regarding best practice and potential for organic growth
Client service and satisfaction
• Successfully lead the day-to-day strategy of client events and programmes. Keep in regular contact with the client and the team to incorporate feedback.
• Ensure the delivery of campaigns and events across the team at the highest standard through reviewing materials on a regular basis and advising on inconsistencies.
• Hone your understanding of the client relationship and the importance of client feedback. Make appropriate suggestions and recommendation to Associate Director/Director on opportunities to improve future campaigns.
• Own opportunities to demonstrate client counsel and strategic skills.
• Lead annual client reviews with the Associate Director/Director to make continuous improvement to client service.
Commercial and financial management
• Create or oversee programme budgets, including budget summaries, proposal sheets and budget breakdowns
• Lead or oversee budget management. Actively seek opportunities for any additional projects with clients.
• Provide accurate forecasts on the account to enable future planning and help to ensure that campaigns are delivered on target.
• Oversee or lead year-end and campaign reconciliations and work closely with accounts team.
Teamwork and team leadership
• Become one of the main client contacts on your accounts
• Actively participate in client meetings and updates
• Provide sound client counsel and strategic input
• Conduct post-campaign evaluation, highlighting strengths and identify opportunities to develop future campaigns and projects
• Identify issues of interest to client and share information/suggestions
Commercial and financial management
• Manage and take proactive steps to maximise client profitability through accurate budgeting and budget tracking
• Provide team with accurate forecasts for budget estimates and project work
• Explore opportunities to work on additional projects for existing clients and negotiate budgets for project work
• Manage and take proactive steps to update client budgets for campaigns and events
• Submit all timesheets in a punctual and accurate manner
Teamwork and team leadership
• Lead team meetings and share client and company information to keep team informed and engaged.
• Oversee or lead planning and prioritising the team’s work to ensure completion according to client requirements and deadlines.
• Complete performance reviews, objective setting and career and development planning for direct reports. Act on results and outputs.
• Support the team in delivering the brief by driving the quality and direction of the team, highlight any potential issues to Associate Director/Director.
• Coach, mentor and motivate junior team members, ensure objectives are met and individuals have clear career plans.
• Maintain regular communication with junior team members, ensuring the team operates in the most effective and efficient way to meet client needs.
• Maintain involvement in team/management/group initiatives.
• Regularly engage in dialogue with colleagues to ensure an accurate view and understanding of their workload. Work with Associate Director/Director to help prioritise, meet deadlines and respond to aspirations. Delegate projects and activities to stretch performance and capability.
• Define and develop a role on an operational level outside of client work.
• Help drive new business development. Explore opportunities with former-clients and contacts as much as possible. (Account Directors typically have an annual new business target of approximately £100k.)
• Play an active role in new business pitches, leading on specific elements.
• Provide suggestions to Associate Directors/Directors for opportunities to grow and expand our work with existing and new clients.
• Proactively contribute to the development and updating of case studies and other credentials materials.
• Encourage team to contribute to, and participate in, new business activity including research, brainstorms, making client contact and presenting, as appropriate.
Administration and reporting
• Oversee or deliver reconciliation budget reports
• Encourage team to complete all administration and reporting internally and in line with client requirements.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge and capability in all main software packages including Microsoft Office.
• Prior work experience as Account Director in agency/in house/NHS/press office
• Excellent organisation skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Accurate spelling, and good grammar
• Able to follow instructions accurately
• Able to manage junior colleagues efficiently
• Demonstrate solid financial understanding and management
• Good communication skills (written, presenting, verbal)
• Confident phone manner
• Science and/or PR background